Empowering Lives in the CommunitiesWe Serve
Grants and Giving Programs
At Cytokinetics, our values and commitment to corporate social responsibility encourage giving to organizations that are aligned with our therapeutic areas of interest. We provide grants and charitable support to a diverse group of organizations that we believe make a real difference. We view giving as more than just financial support, but as an opportunity to create or expand partnerships with those who share our focus and passion for the communities we serve.
We are proud to support the work of scientists, researchers, medical professionals and community-based organizations that are finding ways to increase disease awareness, expand early detection and diagnosis, and improve treatment quality and patient support. From advancing scientific knowledge to helping our local communities, we are committed to supporting the lives impacted by cardiovascular and neuromuscular diseases.
We consider a number of factors when reviewing funding requests, but it is most important for applications to demonstrate a strong commitment to — and capacity for — delivering on mission of the organization. Cytokinetics receives more funding requests from outstanding organizations than the Grants and Giving Program can fund. While it is not possible for every organization to receive funding, those that are in alignment with Cytokinetics’ guidelines and mission are given careful consideration. We welcome funding requests for innovative, high-impact projects that relate to at least one of the core therapeutic areas of the company: heart failure, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA).
Cytokinetics supports grants, independent medical education, charitable donations, and sponsorship in the following therapeutic areas: heart failure, HCM, ALS, and SMA.
Funding applications are accepted throughout the year. Requestors are required to submit a complete application online at least 60 calendar days prior to the program date or funding decision deadline (whichever occurs first). If your organization plans to submit multiple funding requests for different programs throughout the calendar year, it is preferred that all requests be submitted at one time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions.
Funding Guidelines and Criteria:
- Organization must have an open membership policy
- Requests must be submitted through the formal online application process
- Sponsorships cannot be made to or on behalf of individual Healthcare Professionals (HCPs) or group practices
- Third-party implementation providers must not be owned or controlled in whole or in part by a practicing physician or other HCP
Your organization must not be:
- A political or sectarian organization
- An individual, group practice, or private physician office
- Supporting a religious purpose
- Promoting a Cytokinetics product or influencing formulary decisions
Funding cannot be used for:
- Operating expenses that are not directly and exclusively dedicated to the educational activity being applied for (e.g. equipment, salaries, benefits, journal subscriptions, etc.)
- Travel, lodging or registration expenses for non-faculty healthcare professionals to attend an educational program (there are certain exceptions for healthcare professionals in training: i.e. medical students, fellows, etc. to attend major medical society meetings)
- Cost of entertainment or recreational activities or to compensate for time spent at meetings by attendees
- Compensating healthcare professional partners or guests
- Faculty lodging and/or expense reimbursement out of proportion with the number of days that the faculty is presenting
- Gifts/prizes for faculty or attendees
- Requests for food only
- Expenses on faculty dinners not related to content review
- Honoraria or costs in excess of fair market value
- Developing clinical practice guidelines (e.g. statements that include recommendations intended to help practitioners make appropriate health care decisions for specific clinical conditions)
- Advertising or creation of advertising materials related to a Cytokinetics product
- Development or production of promotional items related to any Cytokinetics product
An organization with a written policy to discriminate based on race, religion, gender, gender expression and/or identify, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other protected status is ineligible for funding.
Independent Medical Education (IME) is generally defined as education for healthcare professionals (HCPs) provided by an independent educational provider, such as a community hospital, academic center, medical society/association or medical education & communication company. IME grants provide funding for non-accredited and accredited Continuing Medical Education (CME) programs, which offer medical education credits to healthcare professional upon successful completion. IME must consist of medical educational activities which serve to maintain, develop, or increase the knowledge, skills, and professional performance of healthcare professionals.
Proceed to IME Grant application.
Charitable Donations provide funding for benevolent health-care related purposes such as improvement of healthcare, patient care or advocacy, or access to healthcare. The primary purpose of a program supported by a charitable donation should be fundraising or similar charitable activities. No benefit may be given to Cytokinetics in return for support unless such benefit is incidental in nature, such as fair recognition of company name on a list of donors, or a seat/table at the charitable event.
Proceed to Charitable Donation application.
Sponsorships provide funding for events and/or activities that further the education of the community on important health topics of interest to Cytokinetics. Sponsorships may provide Cytokinetics with a public relations opportunity (e.g., exhibit space, banners and other forms of recognition, or marketing opportunities) to promote our mission and raise awareness for the diseases and products we support. Activities can include congress booths, company displays, membership in industry or corporate organizations and Cytokinetics initiated education programs.
Proceed to Corporate Sponsorships application.
Grants provide funding for projects or activities that further the knowledge in our areas of research, support scientific exchange, and advance education of the community on important health topics of interest to Cytokinetics without tangible return to the company. Project/activities should have defined objectives, start and end dates, and address a specific medical or scientific need. Cytokinetics awards grants to local, regional, and international organizations that are replicable, scalable and designed to have a lasting and meaningful effect in our communities. Examples of such programs include medical or scientific meetings or symposia, awards, scholarships, disease awareness events, patient/caregiver education programs, patient support services, research forums, and research roundtables.
Proceed to Grants application.
- If you do not already have a Username and Password, click “Create your password” to navigate to the registration page.
- Input your registration information, including email address, contact information, and tax ID/charity ID (if applicable).
- Enter your organization’s legal name. Do not use abbreviations or acronyms.
- Once all the information has been completed, click “Submit.”
- If your registration is accepted, you will receive an email with a link from CyberGrants to activate your email. If your registration is not accepted, please contact email@example.com for further questions.
To expedite processing of your funding request form, Cytokinetics suggests the following:
- Read the Guidelines and Criteria for requesting funding
- Complete your funding request form
- Confirm the funding request form is complete, including all required attachments (Incomplete funding request forms will be rejected)
- Read FAQs for answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Questions on the funding request form require the requestor to provide information about:
- Requesting organization contact information and organization description
- Program objectives
- Proposed outcome from program
- Proposed use of funds
- Program budget
- Cover letter or proposal documentation
- U.S. tax identification documentation, if applicable
- Payee information
All funding requests must be submitted using the online portal.
- To access the funding request again for updates or to submit a new funding request, simply log in to your account portal and navigate to the Welcome Page tab on your screen.
When does Cytokinetics accept funding requests?
Funding requests are accepted for review all year.
How long does the funding request process take?
A minimum of 60 calendar days is required to evaluate and decide upon any funding request, please plan accordingly.
Can the application process be done outside of the online grants portal?
No, all funding requests must be submitted online by the requesting organization. If there are any issues with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can one organization submit multiple funding requests throughout the year?
Yes. However, funding requests are reviewed individually. Funding of a program is not contingent upon previous activity nor does previous activity guarantee future support.
Can Cytokinetics fund events and activities retroactively?
No. Cytokinetics does not fund activities that have already occurred.
How will the applicant be notified of the funding request status?
An email update will be sent upon submission of a funding request to confirm Cytokinetics’ receipt of the funding request and after committee review to notify the requestor of either an approval or denial of the request. At any point in the process, the requestor will receive notification if an application is missing required documentation or further information is needed to complete the funding request review.
Can content of the funding request be changed once it has been submitted?
Changes to the topic, target audience, or other material aspect of a submitted funding request will be reviewed on a case by case basis. If you need to make such a change, please email the request to email@example.com.
Can I submit multiple funding requests?
If your organization plans to submit multiple funding requests for different programs throughout the calendar year, it is preferred that all requests be submitted at one time. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions.